The synthetic turf industry is increasingly being challenged to demonstrate the sustainability of its products and this requires collective action on a large scale to ensure our products are as environmentally compatible as possible. Developing Product Environmental Footprint Category Rules for synthetic turf products is an opportunity for the industry to further demonstrate how it is responding to these challenges.
Product Environmental Footprint Category Rules describe how an industry sector should undertake life cycle analysis of their products. Applying and being selected by the European Commission to develop a PEFCR means the European synthetic turf industry is now ahead of future legislation, and most importantly working within the framework set by the EU, allowing us to develop the rules for our industry instead of having them imposed by others in the future.
The PEFCR we are developing will cover all types of synthetic turfs used for sports and landscaping applications. It will include all stages of a synthetic turf’s life, from production of the plastic from which the yarn is produced, through yarn extrusion, carpet and backing production, infill production, shockpad production, on site installation, on-going surface maintenance, and finally, end of life processing. Every ESTC member provides something that will be included within our PEFCR .
Work commenced on developing our PEFCR in early 2020 and the European Commission requires the project to be completed by the end of 2022.
In this webinar we want to give you an update on the current status of the project and the next phase which will focus on developing supporting studies based on the draft PEFCR. More details on the content of the webinar are provided via the link below.
The following questions will be addressed :
- What is a PEF and why are they going to become important?
- Programme of works – where are we today ?
- What is a supporting study?
- How many supporting studies need to be conducted for our PEF?
- Who can carry out a supporting study?
- Why would you want to carry out a supporting study?
- Will you need external support when carrying out a supporting study and who can support you?
- What are the costs and effort associated with carrying out a supporting study?
- What is the timeline of a PEF supporting study?
- Who will have access to the supporting studies and which information is included?
- If we want to do a PEF in the future, how will we go about this?