Multi-purpose use of Seacon Stadion – De Koel, Netherlands
Stadion de Koel opened in March 1972 with a match between VVV-Venlo and SC Cambuur-Leeuwarden. The stadium has hardly changed apart from a refurbishment in 2007 when VVV got promoted to the Eredivisie. Today the stadium has a total capacity of 8000 with 1500 standing places. Even though the stadium is for multi-purpose it is today mainly used for football and is home to the Dutch football club VVV-Venlo. Like some other stadiums in the Dutch top leagues Stadion de Koel has a synthetic pitch, enabling the club to use it more extensively.
In 2004 the stadium got renovated and renamed into Seacon Stadia as part of a sponsorship deal. Because of its small size and a lack of modern facilities plans existed to move to a new stadium with 15000 seats. In 2012 the construction of a new stadium has been agreed, but due to a change in the land utilization plan and the relegation of the club this project has been stopped. According to the plan football shall not be played open air and a stadium with a closed roof was no option for the club. The new plan is to renovate De Koel instead.
In November 2013 the club jointly with its sponsors opened their Walk of Fan in order to give fans the opportunity to eternalize with the club. Another marketing idea was to transform the pay kiosk into an UFO.